Monday, March 23, 2009

My bucket list starts with: Hang gliding

Hang gliding
It just appeals to me. It's the closest you can get to actually flying. I think it would be exhilarating. I know I'll be terrified once I get up there. But, I think, after the first few seconds the terror would subside and I'd really enjoy it. Besides... regardless of whether or not it turns out to be a good experience, if I don't do it I'll always regret it, I'll always wonder.

Visit the Darien
I love the rain forest. I love the jungle, the life, all the amazing plants, and animals, and sounds! I've been absolutely enthralled by the Darien ever since I first learned about it. It is some of the densest jungle in the world. It accounts for the only gap in the otherwise unbroken path from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego that is the Panamerican Highway. There are almost no roads. The best way to get around is by piragua (dugout canoe).
I had hoped to visit earlier this year. I found a place called Playa de Muerto. It's a small (225 people) Embera community in the Darien. I mentioned the place to my parents and told them that I thought it would be a neat place to visit sometime. (Maybe in a few years when I have some money saved.) At which point they promptly started planning a trip! Awesome! We were originally planning to spend a few weeks in Panama around Christmas/New Year's, but that fell through in the end.
I am still determined that I will see the Darien, it may not be for a few years, but I will see it!
I'd love to take a few months (or a year even) to travel through the Darien and the Amazon. That would be amazing. Give me a backpack, a tent, a notebook, and a camera and I'm happy!

See the Outback and the Great Barrier Reef
I've always wanted to visit Australia. There's so much unique wildlife there. All sorts of oddities trapped on or brought to the great island over the years. Plus, I love the ocean. I love going to beaches and finding critters; looking in the tide pools. I love all the little crustaceans and anemones and even the rocks and seaweed! So, how fantastic would it be to see the Great Barrier Reef?
Again, I know I could easily spend a year in Australia and still not feel that I've even scratched the surface of all there is to see and do, but I'll take what I can get. If I'm ever lucky enough to have the luxury of spending that kind of time there, great! If not, well... I'd at least like to take a few weeks and cover the key points.

Have a house with a library
Having a big house is not important to me. I don't have images in my mind of what a "dream house" should be. What is important though is that I have ample storage space for my books! I love the thought of having a whole room dedicated to them. The room should be large; I plan on having a lot of (read "easily a thousand or more") books. It will need to have plenty of good comfortable seating for reading; a couch, a nice armchair, a rocking chair (preferably a glider), and a beanbag chair at least. Windows to let in natural light during the day and lamps for reading at night. There should be a writing desk for when the fancy strikes me. And a fireplace to curl up by. It would be my refuge. A place to go to get away and just lose myself in another world.

Get published
I want to feel that satisfaction of working on something and a publisher saying, "Yeah, I like this!" I want to write a story - a book, an article, even a poem! - that goes to print. Something that's good enough that people want to pick it up and read it. I don't have the imagination to write fiction, I'll leave that to other folks, but I've had some pretty interesting experiences in my life. I think they're worth sharing. I just don't know if I can express myself well enough, coherently enough, to convey that in writing. Entertaining someone with a story face-to-face is all well and good, but it's a different beast when you try to put it down on paper. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot though.

No comments: