Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dhammapada: Choices

So, browsing Chapters the other day, I found this little pocket book. The Dhammapada: The Sayings of the Buddha. It was ten bucks and I had a little over four on a gift card... so, I figured, for five dollars and change, I can't really go wrong!

I haven't read too much yet. Just the first few pages. But it seems really good so far.

The first section, Choices, especially appeals to me:

"With our thoughts we make the world"
Perception is everything

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act upon them? Are you a shepherd who counts another man's sheep, never sharing the way? Read as few words as you like and speak fewer. But act upon the law."
I especially like this passage. You see so many people following the rituals of their belief systems but ignoring the intent. Going to church every Sunday but not following Christian ethics or values. Berating, fighting, or killing people who don't believe as they do, but breaking the laws of their own religion by doing it. This passage really speaks to what I've always thought, always believed. Wonderful!

No comments: