Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dhammapada: Mind

"As the fletcher whittles and makes straight his arrows, so the master directs his straying thoughts.
Like a fish out of water, stranded on the shore, thoughts thrash and quiver. For how can they shake off desire?"
Good metaphors here. I really like this part. I can definitely relate to the idea of squirming, thrashing thoughts. I've often felt like I can't control what's going on inside my own head. Like my thoughts are clamoring, loud, noisy things. It's better now than it used to be. I don't tend to feel like I'm being overwhelmed by some vicious tide within my own head. But, I realize that my mind is still unruly. Especially when I try to meditate. I try to focus on one thing, and all these other ideas keep popping up, unbidden. It's hard to clear them out. And even when I do manage it, it's not long before they - or some other thing - come crashing back into my head.
Anyway, like I said, really good metaphor.

"Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own thoughts, unguarded."
This reminds me a bit of the last few lines of "If...". "If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you..."

No comments: