Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Destination: Belize

So, discovering Playa de Muerto in Panama prompted me to do a bit of digging in Belize. I remember stopping at a hotel on the Mopan river for lunch while we were in Belize. I remember hearing that it had these sort of simple accomodations available. Dirt floors and mosquito nets over the beds, curtains over windows with no glass. It appealed to me. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Mopan River Resort was wonderful! But, it felt so removed from reality. We were separated from the locals, we were the rich (North) Americans staying in the fancy resort. We saw the countryside, but we didn't really see the country.
I swore that if I ever went back to Belize, I'd stay in that little hotel. I'd stay there, in their most down-to-earth, inexpensive room. I'd stay there and enjoy every minute of it!

The only problem is, I forgot where there was! I forgot the name of the hotel. I remember exactly how to get there (by boat) from the Mopan River Resort. I remember what it looked like and which side of the river it was on. I just couldn't quite recall the name!
Well, I did a little digging and, I found it!

Clarissa Falls Resort.

I should've known! It was "just past Clarissa Falls" after all. I remembered that. Why couldn't I remember that the place was named for that little set of rapids right beside it?

Anyway, apparently they now offer more "comfortable" accomodations that the modest rooms I was first told about. However, those rooms do still exist! They offer everthing from camping to suites! (With double rooms and shared bunks sitting somewhere between the two in luxury and price.)

Hopefully I can get there before it gets any more "mainstream" and becomes totally upscale.
If not, well, I guess I'll just focus my energies on getting to Playa de Muerto in Panama!

No comments: