Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Reading Material

I need to find myself another good book. I mean, I have plenty of books. I shouldn't be looking for any more. But I don't think I have anything that quite matches up with my current craving. I have a full complement of fiction of various genres. I have quite a bit of non-fiction as well, though it tends to lean more towards the academic end of the scales. I've gathered together a few biographies over the years. Some I've read, others I've not. I have poetry. I have plays.
None of this seems to quite fit the bill though. I don't know what I want.

I picked up one of my many novels the other day, figuring on reading it. It's good. The plot is interesting. But I just can't get into it. I don't crave it like I should when I dive into a good book. It just feels too light and fluffy.

Maybe I'd find a good non-fiction more substantial... I have a feeling though, that I might get bored. A lot of the non-fiction that I have is pretty dry. Probably only about one step up from a textbook. Dawkins might be okay though... Maybe I should try "The Selfish Gene" on for size... I wouldn't mind looking at some more travelers' tales either. Something like "The Darien Gap" would be quite satisfactory. 'Though I'm worried that, after reading Mitchinson, I might be disappointed by other authors. I'd be willing to give it a shot though. I'd also like to look into getting a copy of "Loose Girl". I spotted that one in Chapters the other day and it really held my attention. At the very least, I'd like to take a closer look at it.

Alright, well, I guess that at least gives me an idea of what I should be looking for. Unfortunately two out of three ideas require me to purchase more books. I do have a copy of "The Selfish Gene" kicking around. I guess I could try reading that first... "Loose Girl" actually holds the most appeal for me at the moment though. I wish I had a copy of that book now! But I had to choose between "Loose Girl" and "The Darien Gap" and, really, it was hardly a choice. I had to get "The Darien Gap". How could I not? And it was an amazing book. Definitely no regrets. I just wish I could've gotten them both!

Ah well... I think I'll try to finish "The Book With No Name" for now. From there I can move on to "The Selfish Gene". Maybe by then I'll have gotten my hands on a copy of "Loose Girl".

Actually... It crosses my mind that my brother wanted me to read one of his favourite books. He's been bugging me to read it for ages. I guess it should get priority over some of the others. Who knows? Maybe it'll scratch that literary itch I've been feeling! So, I guess the new order will be: "The Book With No Name" -> "Lord of Snow and Shadows" -> "The Selfish Gene" -> "Loose Girl".

Then again... Nothing ever works out as planned, does it?

No comments: